Friday, December 19, 2008

5 things I miss about 'Amdavad'

It has been almost 10 months since I left Ahmedabad. After living there for over half an year, I feel a part of the city lives in me, which would not let the memories attached fade away. Needless to say, I miss my 'gang' and the fun we had. But there are a lot of other things that remind me of my life there. And few of my favourite things about 'aapno amdavad' are:

5. Safety! - The first thing that fascinated me about Ahmedabad was safety and security I felt there. During my stay, I did not come across any incident of major theft, loot, murder or rape, which is as common as common cold in Delhi :(

4. Gujaratis - Gujaratis are quite unassuming . They are rightly known for their 'entrepreneurial' skills. I miss observing women elegantly dressed in saree with palu on right shoulder. I miss people talking 'sweetly' and helping without any 'motive'. Honest auto-wallahs are also a rare sight here and I can't help but remembering times in Gujarat everytime I argue with a auto-driver in Delhi.

3. Bike Rides - Thol Bird Sanctuary, Nal Sarovar, Adalaj, (jinxed) Modhera or even Airport - all these destinations and many more are always missed (by me) because of the journey. Every experience from riding a bike for first time, singing songs to getting lost and finding a way back is cherish-able!

2. Chai Kitlees & Anda Bhurji- Nothing can beat the adventure of traveling several kilometers at night to have a cup of hot tea along with not so hot discussions! Or even tea breaks at kitlees near my office. Add to this the famous egg bhurji from road-side hawkers. That used to be a nice change from Raghu's canteen (at office).


1. 'Majaa Ma' Attitude - Like my dear friend puts it - 'In Amdavad, always majaa ma!'. You are always at peace in the city and as most of the times as many call it 'laid back'. And that is why you love it!
Bau saru che!

No comments:

Post a Comment